Sausage, Peppers, and Tomato Stir Fry
Spice up your tomatoes and sausage with a stir fry including hot italian cherry peppers and white onion.
This recipe works for:
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 large red bell peppers, seeded and cut in 1-inch thick strips
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium white onion, cut in thin strips lengthwise (not rings)
2 Italian sausages, sweet or spicy (your choice)
1/4 tsp finely chopped Italian hot cherry peppers (OPTIONAL! Only if you want this to be spicy!)
1/5 #10 can tomato strips in puree
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Puree, on pulse, tomato strips in food processor until smoother but not completely blended (leave a few chunks).
2. Toss the pepper strips in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and sprinkle a little salt on them and place them in a pan under the broiler until they are tender and the skins start to blacken.
3. In a large skillet saute the onions and garlic in the remaining olive oil until soft. Take the sausages and with your fingers, break them up in bite-sized chunks – you do not want to slice them because you want them to have a crumbly texture – and add them to the pan and cook until nicely browned.
4. Add the roasted peppers to the pan along with the chopped cherry peppers if you’re going spicy. Now add the tomato sauce and stir well.
5. Add some salt & pepper to your taste, and let the whole thing simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the thin liquids have evaporated and the whole thing has a nice, saucy texture. Taste and season if needed.
6. Serve over pasta, polenta, pizza, or as calzone stuffing. Or you can just pile it in a bowl. Grate some fresh parmesan or romano over it. Pairs well with garlic bread and a hearty red wine.
Adapted from: The Kitchn